Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 24 January 2012

Info Post
Manpreet Badal - Letter To The Youngsters
I have been overwhelmed by the faith and affection shown by you. During my travels, meetings and more recently through interactions via online social networks, I have been deeply touched by your expression of solidarity. But I am deeply distressed when some of you ask with an innocence that is the hallmark of un corrupted youth that why is Punjab lagging when India is moving forward?

I am troubled by this question, because I know that this is correct. This embarrasses me, because the pitiable condition that Punjab finds itself in today, is not of your making. It is not your fault, that Punjab does not have a credible education system that prepares you for the employment opportunities in the modern world. It is not your fault that the successive elected governments failed to bring industrial investment to Punjab that could create jobs. It is not your fault that myopic policies have brought agriculture (once considered to be our talisman), to near devastation. It is not your fault that our pure soil and water has been turned toxic. And certainly, it is none of your fault that governmental recklessness has brought state’s finances to such abysmal levels that there is no money left for welfare purposes.

Yes, my dear young men and women of Punjab, we- the generations before you- squandered the opportunities. We squandered our resources. We squandered our goodwill. But most importantly, we have squandered our pride. This is why I reach out to you because this is the battle for your generation and generations that are to follow you.

This is not a battle for my personal glory or ambition. Nor am I out merely to crusade against fiscal profligacy that our state has seen in the last so many years. Like so many before me, I could have comfortably chosen to remain a part of the government and enjoyed its associated benefits.

But I have started this battle because I get angry to see that nothing is being done to acknowledge and redress Punjab’s terrible condition. I wince in pain, when I hear about our boys being exploited by unscrupulous travel agents. It causes me immense consternation to see that while youngsters from southern India are welcomed to foreign nations because they are ace engineers, the youngsters of my state have to take perilous detours or legal circumventions to reach Europe and Australia simply because their own state did not give them enough opportunities to make dignified careers. I cringe, when I notice that in the modern job market the university degrees which Punjab’s resolute girls work so hard to get, are not even worth the paper on which they are published. I squirm in discomfort when I observe, that Punjab’s once illustrious record in sports is gradually loosing sheen.

I admit that this is our darkest hour. But I also say that the situation is not without hope. History is replete with examples of great communities that by sheer grit, hard work and fortitude have dispelled the dark clouds that surrounded them. The inaugural address of President John Kennedy was addressed primarily to the young Americans. Some of his words are extremely relevant in our case and I quote them in the hope that you will find inspiration in them- “In your hands, more than mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this country was founded, each generation has been summoned to give testimony of its national loyalty…Now the trumpet summons us again- not as a call to bear arms though arms we need-not as a call to battle, though embattled we are- but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out”

Youngsters of Punjab, let us begin our struggle to bring our Punjab on top again. Let us ensure that our boys are not killed in boats in Malta, beaten in Australia or embarrassed in London, simply because we can’t provide them opportunities here. Let us ensure that our hard working girls get a chance to work in the sunrise sectors of biotech, IT and telecom. Let us ensure that the legendary Punjabi entrepreneurial spirit, which has scripted success stories all over the world, is given the full chance to succeed in its home as well. Let us ensure that we lead India’s agriculture production in quality and not only in quantity. Let us ensure that we cast off this albatross of being the most indebted state in India, because, we the people of Punjab have always given and never begged!

Here I must add a caveat. Often the youthful angst can be channelised into destructive purposes by evil elements. I request you to steer clear of any sort of jingoism or intolerance.

Punjab cannot afford any internal discord. All of you, who were born in Punjab and also who have chosen to make Punjab your home have to work together. The anger, which you harbour right now, has to be channelised for upliftment of this beloved state of ours and not for its destruction!

May God Bless you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment