Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 21 December 2011

Info Post
I recently got carried away ombre dying practically everything in my wardrobe. In addition to the ombre mini I did for Harper's BAZAAR last week, this tee (on the left) is one of my other projects, inspired by none other than the stunning High Summer Bec & Bridge collection. 

dipdyediy2

I'm not going to lie, the process I used was identical to that of the ombre mini I made and posted about over at Harper's BAZAAR, but I really wanted to show you this little piece. For those of you who didn't catch my tutorial, check out my instructions below.

You Need:
- A white tee (mine is from H&M)
- Purple dye
- Salt
- Bucket
- Water

How to:
1. Dampen your fabric - you want it to be wet but not dripping. This helps it take on the dye evenly.
2. Open your packet of dye and separate it evenly into a few different containers. 
3. To start, only put one of the measures of dye into the water, mixing according to the instructions on the packet. This will be the least concentrated in which to do the first immersion. Most dyes recommend using warm water and salt to set the dye.
4. Put your tee on a hanger so it hangs evenly and dip it into the dye. The first time you dip it will be the deepest, and you should aim to stop about 15cm from the neckline.
5. Take the tee out and add another container of dye to the bucket and mix up. Dip the tee again, this time only about 2 thirds of the depth of the first time.
6. Add the final container of dye. Dip only the bottom few inches of the tee into the dye at its most concentrated. You can even let it sit in the dye for a little while to take on more colour.
7. Once you think the bottom of the tee is dark enough, wash it out in a sink.
8. Leave the tee to dry. Done!

dipdyetee
DSC_0267

On a side note, can we talk for a second about that lilac akubra? Nothing has ever been so firmly on my Christmas wishlist before. Perhaps a present to myself when I get back to Australia this weekend...

0 comments:

Post a Comment