Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 27 March 2012

Info Post
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is:

Top Ten Books
I'd Play Hooky With

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Somehow I don't think this is surprising. Or original.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Even though I think Dash & Lily have usurped the title for favourite Cohn&Levithan book, Nick & Norah is still one that I just pick up all the time. When I first read this book, it spoke so much to me that it brings me back to a really great time in my life.

The Classics
Specifically: Little Women, Pride & Prejudice, and The Outsiders
These are books that mean the world to me, that ignited my passion in reading and writing. Every read brings new facets and discoveries.

His Dark Materials series - Philip Pullman
This series pops up a lot on my lists because I just love it so much. It skirts the line of MG/YA, and the story is just so original and breathtaking. I read this entire series over the duration of my childhood (started at age 8), and it made such an impression. This is what world-building can be.

Let It Snow - John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle
I seldom talk about it on here (since this blog was started in January), but I am obsessed with Christmas novels. I adore the Season and devour all the books (I think I've read every single Debbie Macomber Christmas novel) that have to do with it -- so naturally, I love this one. All the stories are so much fun and touching in their own way. I keep it beside my bed, because sometimes I just need to have a nice Holiday story...even if it's June.

Natural Born Charmer - Susan Elizabeth Phillips
An adult romance book (what?!), but I fell in love with this author because of this book. Her books all have a certain formula, but that's sometimes what we love (I'm lookin' at you, Nicholas Sparks); and I think this one is perfection. It's cute and funny and sexy, and it's just the right amount of intrigue, stress and happy ending.

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley
This makes the list because I actually did play hooky with this -- the day it came in the mail, I totally left work early so I could go home and read it. I adore this book (review here!) and I will happily skip anything to spend the night romping around Australia with Ed and Lucy.

Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
Like the Hunger Games, I don't think this is surprising or needs explanation.

the sky is everywhere - Jandy Nelson
(review here!)
This book makes me cry and fills my heart with such an abundance of love and emotion that I actually don't re-read it often, but I would damn sure play hooky with it any moment of any day.

Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
This was the first Sarah Dessen novel I read, and it is still my favourite (Along For the Ride and What Happened To Goodbye are superclose seconds). I'm fairly certain it's in the running to be THE most perfect Contemporary YA novel. The boy, the music integration, the lessons, the family, the tough stuff, the resolution...it's perfection, and I love reliving it.

What books would you play hooky with?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

PS. Have you entered my Birthday giveaway yet?
Win an April release OR a book of your choice! Two winners!

0 comments:

Post a Comment