Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 8 November 2011

Info Post
I hardly ever write stories as the essential me ~ Shelley or is it Sigred or is it Bossy or Bitch or Mrs. or Mom or Ms or even Ma'am (these days), I get so confused...

...but this tale, the words I'm about to try and set down, seemed to require it.

Shelley of no determinate last name and later on, no determinate first name either.

The Beginning

I was posting my song of the day on Facebook

and I enjoyed the song so much that I had to listen to it several times. There I sat, boogying in front of the computer, sitting on my steno chair, waving my arms around, mouthing the words, bopping my white haired head and quite enjoying myself.

Later on...it (the bopping) made me think.
It made me think of how mortified my daughters would be to see me such.
As if I lacked dignity or perhaps didn't know my proper place (in the scheme of things).

Several hundred years ago I too would have been mortified to see my own Mother hootchy kootchying, thoroughly enjoying herself listening to music, waving her arms around and bouncing to the beat, but my own Mother, a product of WWII & the depression, lived most of her life between the Suffragette Movement and Womens' Liberation. Her enjoyment would have been decorous, mild and fleeting.

But...
ironically that's what my Mom gave me...
She gave me a strong sense of duty but
tied to that was a magical & ephemeral ability to step outside what's currently accepted
& for moments just enjoy & be & feel.

My Mom's been dead a long time.
I still miss her.

The End
At this point, with me alive & well & kicking I have no idea what gifts I have passed on to my own daughters or even, when I cease to exist, if they'll miss me. But I dearly hope & and have faith that they too, at least from time to time, can just be & feel & enjoy without regard to self or others, knowing their own self-worth & internal dignity can remain intact even in the midst of great silliness. It seems to me to be such an essential part of life and one sadly & thoroughly lacking in so many.




Side NoteA huge asteroid will pass close by our planet today as astronomers around the world watch and measure.  This space rock is asteroid 2005 YU55, a veritable mini-world roughly 1,300 feet (400 meters) wide — nearly four football fields across — that will zoom by Earth inside the orbit of the moon.  At its closest approach, the asteroid will pass within 201,700 miles (325,000 kilometers) of Earth. The average distance between Earth and the moon is 240,000 miles (386,242 km).

0 comments:

Post a Comment