Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 22 February 2012

Info Post

4

Being addicted to all things tribal, printed and mini I recently collaborated with College Fashion in making this embellished mini skirt that channels the bang-on-trend Aztec/tribal vibe that I love so much (check this out if you don't believe me!). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, for this project I took a little inspiration from one of my favourite Sass & Bide collections, a few pieces from which you can see below. Same same, but different.

triminspo

I had a somewhat blah black thrifted skirt in my closet that I thought would be the perfect base for this project - and knew that with a little imagination I could make it something I would want to wear all the time come summer.

1


You need: 
- A skirt - check out your local thrift or dollar stores.
- Around 2 metres of embroidered trim
- A needle and thread (or sewing machine)
- Scissors

2

How to: 
1. To create the basic mini skirt, I shortened the longer skirt to mini length. To do this, measure the appropriate length by using a skirt you already wear as a guide for cutting.
2. Hem the skirt by rolling the fabric over and sewing down.
3. Cut two pieces of trim to match the length all the way around of the hem and waistband. If you want you can use a lighter to lightly singe the trim so it doesn't fray.
4. Hand sew (or use a sewing machine) to attach the printed trim to the waistband and the hem - sewing both edges to secure. Update: For the top piece I located the edges of the embroidered trim on either side of the back zip, and for the bottom piece I overlapped the trim and sewed  it down on the left hand side.

3

And there you have it, all done! A perfectly chic, on-trend and inexpensive mini skirt which will take you into spring without so much as a backwards glance.

4

Wearing: DIY Mini skirt | H&M t-shirt | Karen Walker Sunglasses | Mango Boots | Locally Designed Rings | DIY Bell Bracelets

On another note, I'm speaking next week on my favourite subject of reworked clothing and before & after  projects at a conference for Redress. Looking forward to it.

Follow a pair & a spare via

0 comments:

Post a Comment