Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 24 February 2012

Info Post
Happy Friday all! Just in time for the Follow Friday Hop, I've added the Linky Follower to my sidebar :)  I know GFC going away has been a bit troublesome and I'm slowly getting my blog situated for people to be able to follow me via other avenues - far from done, but getting there! As always, please let me know if you encounter any problems.

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads! This week's discussion is about 
Required Reading
Which book from your school days do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?

I actually don't remember many required readings...I read so much that the books blurred between what was required and what I read for fun. However, these are the ones I remember discussing in class and loving:

Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson (EVIL to make kids read this!)
The Outsiders - SE Hinton (STILL a favourite)
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger
The Taming of the Shrew - Shakespeare

And I'd love for curriculum to add in these:
Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (so much adventure!)
the perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
It's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini
The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins

(ok, I know some/most of these push the limits of being appropriate, but I really do think these have some important elements that would benefit from classroom discussion.)

What Required Reading did you like? What would you like to see added to children's book lists? 
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: ezine of a random girl & Oh! For the Love of Books

And the question of the week is:
Activity!!! Take a picture or describe where you love to read the most…

Truthfully, I will read just about anywhere, at any time, no matter what. I don't really have favourites because as long as I can hold a book, I'm good. (Except in a car, I get car sick.)  But there are 4 places I seek out to read usually:

1) My bed (sorry for the crappy phone pic!) - it's comfy and big enough where I can roll and shift around to get comfortable. Plus, I have 4 pillows and a pillow pet!
2) The beach - this was taken in Encinitas, which is one of my favourite places. If I could just lay in the sand reading all day, I'd be a happy girl.
3) My couch (again, crappy phone pic, sorry!) - I always sit in one spot (like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory!) because it's the best location to me. A good distance from the TV, the bottom pops out into a recliner, it's soft and squishy and I can add pillows if I want to angle towards anything. Perfection!
4) And not pictured, I read at coffee shops a lot. Mostly my local Coffee Bean since all the baristas know me and don't mind if I plop into one of their comfy chairs without buying anything.



Where do you like to read? Leave me your link and I'll hop by!
And of course I'd love to return a follow if you are kind enough to follow me :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment