Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 5 October 2011

Info Post


I may be a little late on this bandwagon, but better late than never right? The Sonia Rykiel AW10 collection featured gorgeous pompom headbands which very much inspired me to DIY, but I never got around to it at the time. Recently I saw large clover pom pom makers for sale and decided it was time to get amongst it. I wore the headband to the Asos Tea Party I went to recentl (have you voted?), and it was so fun to wear!

You can of course use two doughnut shaped pieces of cardboard to make the pom poms (as seen here) but that takes a while and the clover makers aren't too expensive. They turn a two hour job into a 5 minute job so aren't a bad investment if you plan on making a few - you can buy them here or in craft stores.


You need:
A large clover pom pom maker - get the biggest you can find
Black wool
Scissors
A headband - pick a sturdy one

How to:
- Open half of the clover maker and wrap it fully with wool.
- Do the same to the other half.
- Close and secure the pom pom maker.
- Use scissors to cut the wool through the middle all the way around the clover maker.
- Pass wool through the clover maker to secure the pom pom.
- Open the pom pom maker to release the pom pom.
- Trim the pom pom of any loose strings and to the size you want it.
- Secure the pom pom to the headband, I tied mine using wool.




Voila! 
On a side note, I recently had the pleasure playing dress ups in the Ascot Hats millinery workshop - owned by my best friend's mum. I was lusting over this handmade pink tulle pompom headband which is a fantastic alternative to DIYing a wool version if you don't have the time or the patience. I'll be doing a post on my trip to the workshop in the coming weeks, but in the meantime check out the other works of art on Pam's blog, her facebook page or email her directly on pcameron@ascothats.com.au for enquiries.
Make sure you vote for your favourite look in the Asos Tea Party Competition to win £250 to spend at Asos! Voting closes 17th October.

Outfit photos courtesy of Carmen Chan and Sam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment